Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hand Print Ornaments

The day after Thanksgiving the kids and I also made some adorable hand print ornaments :)

My sons hand print ornament

My nieces hand print ornament

These precious keepsake ornaments were really easy to make. Here's what you'll need:
2 C. Flour
1/2 C. Salt
3/4 C. Water
Cookie Sheet, Cooking Spray, Rolling Pin, Drinking Straw, Toothpicks, Clear and or Glitter Sealing Spray, Ribbon or Raffia, and an Oven preheated to 300 degrees fahrenheit.

You'll have to forgive me for being short on pictures for this post. My hands were quite dirty & I didn't have an extra pair of hands to take the pictures.

Mix all 3 ingredients in a large bowl with a fork until dough starts to form. Knead for another 15 minutes or so with your hands bringing the dough onto the counter once you have a uniform consistency.

Use a bowl, large cookie cutter or a butter knife to cut out about 6 ornaments. Have the kids press their hands firmly into the circles. Use a toothpick to prick holes in each to prevent bubbles and to write names and or dates and punch holes for hangers using the drinking straw. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and into a 300 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown. Once cooled these ornaments will still feel a bit rubbery, that's normal. They'll harden up over time.

You can leave the ornaments as they are or paint them. I used silver glitter spray paint and a clear varnish on the back & front of them. Acrylic paint would also be great.

I had a little left over dough so I couldn't resist using it to make some star ornaments. I used my mini star cookie cutter and a sprig from a pine tree to create the texture before baking them. Once cooled I sprayed liberally with the glitter and clear varnish. I'm going to add plain raffia to these. I love how rustic they look!

No comments:

Post a Comment